Monday, September 9, 2013

Back to School with the Five Senses!

Last week was the first week back to school, so I didn't quite get around to writing a post :(  Now that I have had the weekend to recover and regroup, I am ready to go!

I realized over the weekend that I do not take enough photos of my students, so I used today to snap a few shots for you.  I am determined to capture more of our fun moments on film so I can share them here with you!

We spent a lot of time last week getting to know each other and learning the rules/routines.  The kiddos have done pretty well with the rules so far, although we had a little slip today.  I keep track of their behavior on these calendars which are taped to the inside of their daily folder.  They get a green, yellow, or red stamp each day to show how they did, and parents initial each night.  A week of greens means you get in the treasure box!!

I have been completing assessments to see what my kids already know.  They are doing great!!!  All of my kinders know at least some of the letters and numbers, and know how to write their names (although some still use all capital letters).


This week we are learning the five senses!  I think this is a fun unit and it is something fairly easy for the kids to learn at the beginning of the year.  I introduced the five senses today and made an anchor chart.  The kids made their own charts too!  I found this cute idea here!  


We learned the Five Senses song from Dr. Jean to help us remember what the senses are.  You can check out her video on SchoolTube.  I read about eyes and showed them what a pupil is, which they thought was really cool!  We also discussed how to take care of our eyes, and wrote about things we can see.  Sorry I don't have a picture of their writing, but some of them tried sounding out some words, while others drew pictures.

Come back and visit to see what other Five Senses activities we do this week!

--Lauren




No comments:

Post a Comment