Thursday, March 6, 2014

Days of Dr. Seuss

For those of you who love Dr. Seuss, I am sorry to say, you missed his birthday.  Yes, Dr. Seuss aka Theodor Seuss Geisel, passed away in 1991, but he was so fantabulous that he should still be celebrated and remembered.  What better day than his birthday, March 2nd?!  Well, I guess March 3rd will have to do because I am certainly not going to school on a Sunday!

We have been doing little Dr. Seuss themed activities here and there all week.  I thought I would share a few with you in case you want to celebrate too!

First off, we read The Cat in the Hat.  I was amazed how much my kids still love this book, even though they can almost recite it word for word!  To review the at family we made "at hats."  There are so many different ways you can do this.  I had a printable of the hat and the kiddos wrote an at word on each stripe.  You could also make actual hats and have them write the words on their hat.  Some years I get motivated to make hats, but this year was not one of those years.  One year I even made a cake!


I stuck more to the themed centers and phonics this week instead.  We read Green Eggs and Ham and brainstormed "gr" words.


Here is some of the fun stuff they did at learning centers this week.

In the writing center, they wrote about what they would do if they had to stay inside on a rainy day like in The Cat in the Hat.  I hung the raindrops on our window to water our flowers :)



In the pocket chart center they have been practicing putting words in alphabetical order.  There are 4 sets of cards to choose from.  I got this great activity from Anita Bremer.



In word work center they got to make books!  I have had this template forever, so I have no idea where it came from (SORRY!).  It is a great way for them to work on word families and to see how changing a letter can make a new word.




In math center they reviewed adding using objects.  They rolled to find out how many of each color fish and then wrote the corresponding number sentence.  The number sentence sheet is just a piece of paper put in one of the pouches.  These are great for games because dry erase marker wipes off easy peasy and you can change out the papers anytime!  You can hop on over to Mama Miss to get this great freebie!



Tomorrow we are going to graph our favorite Dr. Seuss books.  Which one is your favorite?  Leave a comment and let me know!

Until next time. . .

You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So. . . get on your way!

--Dr. Seuss


No comments:

Post a Comment