Monday, March 24, 2014

A pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

I promised rainbows, so here I am!  We did the following experiment last week to wrap up St. Patrick's Day.


A former colleague passed this along to me when I was teaching in Kentucky.  All you need is a bowl, milk, food coloring, and dish soap.  When I had a document camera in my classroom I did this under the camera and projected it for all of the kids to see.  My class is small now, and we do not have that kind of fancy technology, so they just stood around my desk to watch.

I forgot to take pictures of the actual process, but here are some of the different stages after all of the ingredients were added.




As you can see, the colors begin to mix and form a rainbow.  The longer you let it sit, the more the rainbow forms.  I should have started mine a little earlier in the day.  The school day ended before we could see all of the colors.  You need quite a bit of time to let them fully incorporate.  Mine sat for three hours.   I would recommend starting this project at the beginning of the school day for the full effect.

While the rainbow was forming, we did a little writing.  The kids did a little writing craftivity that was passed on to me by a colleague.  They wrote about the things that make them lucky.  Some of them were really cute.

"I am lucky because. . . I know how to ride a bike.  I have a awesome school that is named Hillwood.  My mom found a 4 leaf clover."

"I am lucky because. . . I have the best teacher.  I have the best dog.  I have a good sister."

"I am lucky because. . . I have a jumpy house.  I have friends.  I have a school and a teacher."

I found it amusing that she has the "best" teacher and "best" dog, but only a "good" sister :)  Haha.  

We finished St. Patrick's Day last week, and now we are moving on to the rainforest!  




No comments:

Post a Comment