Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jumping like Jack, Be Nimble!

Happy Thursday everyone!  We had fun with a measurement activity today, so I thought I would share it!

Our Nursery Rhyme this week is Jack, Be Nimble.  For those of you who are not familiar with this rhyme, a little boy named Jack jumps over a candlestick.  Don't ask me why a little boy would be jumping over a candlestick, I would encourage him not to, but there are a lot of Nursery Rhymes that don't make much sense to me (a cow jumping over the moon?)

In an effort to help my kiddos remember the rhyme, we made our own candlesticks.  Ok, for the sake of time (and because I didn't have enough paper towel rolls) I made the candlesticks.  Next year I will remember to save more or ask for donations, so that every child can make their own.  I was lazy and didn't even cover/paint mine, so we had brown candles, but the kids didn't mind.

We measured the height of the candlesticks using standard (inches) and nonstandard (cubes & paperclips) units.  They did this in groups of 2-3 since there were only 4 candlesticks.



They recorded all of their answers on their paper.


After we measured the candlesticks it was time for some jumping like Jack!  I lined the candlesticks up on the floor and showed them how to jump over them.  (They got a kick out of watching me do it!)  Each child got a chance to jump over the candlesticks. 


 Each time a new student jumped, we recited "Jack, Be Nimble."  It may seem like a lot of times to recite the same thing, but I think they all had it memorized by the time we were done!  They all had a lot of fun with this, and whenever someone knocked one over they said, "Oh, no!  You burned your toe!"

If you want to have some fun jumping with your kiddos, head on over to my store to pick up a copy of the worksheet and rhyme.  

Come back tomorrow for all the photos from this week's pumpkin extravaganza!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment